University Archives

UIC Timeline

The RVM Congregation (Religious of the Virgin Mary) was founded by a Filipina, MOTHER IGNACIA DEL ESPIRITU SANTO, in 1684. The RVM Sisters came to Mindanao in answer to a call for a mission-EVANGELIZATION and EDUCATION - in 1875 in Tamontaka, Cotabato.

  • RVM Arrival in Davao

    At the request of the people of Davao from the late Rev. Superior General, Mo. Ma. Efigenia Alvarez, three Sisters were sent. They were M. Severina Santos, Superior, M. Clara Ramirez and M. Engracia Herrera. The pioneer Sisters stayed in the residence of the Palma Gil Family.

  • Formal Catechetical Instruction

    Opening Of Formal Catechetical Instruction. Mrs. Sinforosa Bangoy vda de Joven donated a house which the Sisters converted into a dormitory and classrooms.

  • Escuela Catolica De San Pedro

    With the increase of enrolment, the house of Mr. Cenon Rasay in San Pedro-Anda intersection was used as classrooms. Originally established exclusively for girls, the RVM Sisters laid the foundation starting as a parochial school named "Escuela Catolica de San Pedro" with only the primary and intermediate courses offered.

  • Colegio De La Immaculada Concepcion

    When the teaching of Spanish was more emphasized, in the curriculum, the school was named "Colegio de la Immaculada Concepcion"

  • 1926

    Music, Kindergarten and Primary Courses were offered.

  • 1928

    The Elementary Department was completed by the opening of Intermediate classes under M. Rafaela Galvez as Superior-Directress.

  • Immaculate Concepcion Academy (ICA)

    First Year High School was opened at the same time the Spanish name was changed to "Immaculate Conception Academy" M. .Ma Carmen Perez was then Directress

  • Immaculate Conception Institute (ICI)

    The school was renamed "Immaculate Conception Institute". Government Recognition was given to the complete Intermediate Course.

  • HE Building Inauguration

    The Home Economics and the Library Building was blessed and inaugurated. M. Ma. Modesta Claustro headed the school until the outbreak of the war.

  • 1938

    First High School Graduation. The graduates were: Angela Bangoy, Clarita Generoso, and Feliza Joven.

  • Outbreak Of World War II

    The institute was closed. The Japanese Imperial army transformed ICI into constabulary headquarters and prison camp. The Sisters and boarders evacuated to the mountains.

  • 1946

    The formal opening of the school after the war with 700 students underneath a shackle behind St. Peter Church took place right after the war. M. Ma. Alberta Alviar as Directress With the help of Fr. Cote, P.M.E., the Parish Priest and Engineer Brigido Valencia, plan was made for the edifice to house the College Department, Sisters' quarter and Chapel. The construction was started and finished before the opening of the next school year.

  • Immaculate Conception College

    On July 31, 1947, the new edifice was blessed and inaugurated by the Most Rev. Luis del Rosario, S.J., assisted by Fr. Clovis Thibault P.M.E. It was renamed "Immaculate Conception College (ICC). When it received its college status and offered two collegiate courses namely Collegiate Secretarial and Pharmacy.

  • 1949

    Two-Year normal College was granted government recognition.

  • 1951

    A third storey was added to the existing Training Department Building to accommodate the growing population of the college.

  • 1952-1954

    M. Ma. Ignacia Magdalena succeeded M. Alberta Alviar as Superior-Directress. The old building along Bolton Street was renovated and the façade was finished.

  • 1954

    S. Ma. Assumpta David as Superior-Directress negotiated with Mrs. Milagros V. Yap the acquisition of 6-ha. lot for the future expansion of the College.

  • 1955

    The College celebrated its Golden Jubilee.

  • 1956-1958

    S. Ma. La Gracia Tan became the Superior-Directress. Auditorium along Bolton Street and the Science Building along Claveria Street was constructed.

  • 1958-1959

    S.Ma. Elena Cinco was appointed Superior-Directress

  • 1959-1960

    M. Ma. Isabel Purificacion was appointed Superior-Directress. Social Hall, Dormitory and the 4th Floor of the existing Science Building along Claro M. Recto were constructed.

  • 1961-1962

    Courses offered were Liberal Arts, Bachelor of Science in Commerce, and Medical Technology.

  • 1963-1964

    S. Ma. Assumpta David was re-appointed Superior-Directress.
    On February 10, 1964 - fire occurred and ICC was believed to be miraculously saved from fire

  • 1965

    First batch of Medical Technology graduated. ICC was the only school in Mindanao offering Medical Technology and Pharmacy Courses.

  • 1968

    Negotiations were finally completed in 1967 for the exchange of the Bishop's Residence in Fr. Selga with the buildings of ICC at San Pedro-Bolton-Claveria site. Construction was in full blast under the supervision of M. Ma. Assumpta David. Gratitude to through the fatherly concern of Bishop Clovis Thibault, PME, S. Ma. Mauricia Tapang, RVM Architect, Engineers Solitaria, Cebedo and Mecado which made possible the construction of this imposing edifice.

  • 1969

    From the old ICC at San Pedro, the elementary and high school students marched on foot to the new ICC, Fr. Selga accompanied by the Ateneo Drum and Bugle Corps.

  • 1970's

    ICC became one of the PAASCU accredited schools producing Board topnotchers and passers and coveted top honors in regional and national science fairs.

  • 1971

    College Department moved to Fr. Selga Street from San Pedro-Bolton Street, BS in Chemistry, Pharmacy Aide, and BS in Food and Nutrition courses were offered.

  • March 1, 1972

    Archbishop Clovis Thibault , PME, DD blessed and inaugurated the newly completed 6-storey building.

  • 1976

    S. Ma. Anna Montilla was appointed Superior-Directress

  • 1979

    Three-storey building was constructed to house the expanding population of the Grade School. It was blessed by Bishop Antonio Mabutas, DD.

  • 1980

    Immaculate Conception College celebrated its "Diamond Jubilee". first batch of BSFN graduated.

  • 1983

    S. Ma. Irmina Roa became the Superior-President.
    Four courses were opened: Cafeteria Management, BS in Civil Engineering, Master of Arts in Theology, and Master of Arts in Elementary Education

  • December 6, 1986

    The 6-storey building at Bonifacio Street was blessed and inaugurated to house the Engineering, Liberal Arts and Education Programs.

  • 1988

    Sr. Ma. Rafaela Singzon was appointed President. The Gymnasium at Bonifacio was constructed.

  • 1990

    Information Technology courses were offered: BS Computer Engineering, BS Electronics and Communications Engineering, and Computer Science.

  • 1992

    DECS Secretary Isidro Cariño granted ICC the University Status with a name "University of the Immaculate Conception" (UIC)
    S. Ma. Jacinta de Belen assumed the Presidency until 1996.

  • 1993

    1993 DECS granted recognition to the following programs: Master of Arts in Values Education (MAVEd)
    Master of Arts in Education Management (MAEM)
    Five-Year Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCoE)
    Four-Year Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA)

  • 1994

    Recognition of the 2-year Pharmacy Aide by DECS

  • 1996

    S. Ma. Consuelo Alvino succeeded S. Ma. Jacinta de Belen as President
    The additional courses were opened:
    MA in Educational Management, MA in Values Education,
    MA in Teaching College Physics, MA in Teaching College Chemistry,
    MA in Engineering Education.

  • 1998

    CHED granted recognitions to the following:
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS);
    Master of Arts in Teaching College Chemistry (MATCC);
    Master of Arts in Teaching College Physics (MATCP);
    Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communication Engineering (BSECE).

  • 1999

    1999 M. Ma. Assumpta David was re-assigned as President.
    Master of Arts in Engineering Education courses majors in Civil Engineering and Electronics and Communications Engineering were granted recognition by CHED
    The Science Resource Center of UIC received the Certificate of Recognition from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources

  • 2000

    UIC offered Graduate School programs namely:
    Master of Science in Pharmacy (MSP),
    Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT),
    Master of Science in Information Management (MSIM).

    Undergraduate courses opened :
    BS in Information Technology and BS in Information Management
    "E-Learning Program" – a web-based learning program serving all departments of the university, was launched.
    Information Technology Research Zone – a state-of-the-art facility, a modern computer information technology and communications laboratory was also put up and blessed.

  • 2001

    Grade School Department was transferred to Bajada, provided with air-conditioned auditorium, audio-visual/conference room, library, computer and science laboratories and chapel.
    Commission on Higher Education (CHED) granted the "Deregulated Status" to the university.
    CHED granted recognition to Master of Science in Pharmacy (MSPharm)
    Launched the "Power of Four": Partnership with Microsoft, LW3 for the Cashier and Registrar, Library OPAC using Follett, and Video-Conferencing
    Opened Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Care Giver Program

  • 2002

    PAASCU. granted granted Level II accreditation to Pharmacy Program

  • 2003

    CHED awarded "Autonomous Status" to the university
    PAASCU Level III re-accreditation of Liberal Arts, Education and Commerce Programs,
    Department of Foreign Affairs granted Permit to Accept Foreign Students.
    Granted recognitions by CHED:
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT),
    Bachelor of Science in Information Management (BSIM),
    Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN),
    Associate in Health and Science Education (ASHE)
    High School Department moved to the new building in Bajada

  • 2004

    The following courses were offered under autonomous status:
    Doctor of Philosophy in Education major in Educational Leadership(PhD EdLead),
    Master in Business Administration (MBA),
    Bachelor of Science in Clinical Pharmacy (BSClPharm),
    Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy and Business Management,
    Master in Information Technology (MIT),
    Master in Information Management (MIM),

  • 2005

    UIC Centennial Celebration
    University Archives was blessed.
    Bachelor of Arts major in Philosophy was offered
    Pharmacy Program was granted Certificate of Accreditation by PAASCU for five (5) years

  • 2006

    The following courses were offered:
    Doctor in Business Management (DBM);
    Doctor of Philosophy in Education major in Applied Linguistics
    Master of Arts in Education major in Guidance Counseling;
    Bachelor of Science in Clinical Pharmacy for Doctors;
    Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management major in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHM).
    Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology was renamed to Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS).
    Master of Arts in Engineering Education was renamed to Master in Engineering Education.

  • 2007

    First batch of Doctor of Philosophy in Education major in Educational Leadership graduated.
    BS in Clinical Pharmacy for Allied Sciences graduates was opened.
    The radio laboratory at Bonifacio campus was blessed and inaugurated
    The Alumni College Cluster was formally launched.
    ITE was awarded the recognition as Center of Development (COD) by the CHED for Information Technology
    The building formerly occupied by the grade school was renovated into ND-HRM laboratory

  • 2008

    2008 The first batch of Bachelor of Arts major in Philosophy graduated

  • 2009

    2009 Granted Level III Re-accredited Status by PAASCU:
    Grade School and High School
    Liberal Arts, Education (BSEd and BEED), and Business Administration programs,
    Level 1 Accredited Status: Information Technology Program.
    Clinical Laboratory and Training Center was granted Certificate of Accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education

  • 2010

    Education Program was awarded Center of Excellence (COE) by CHED from AY 2010-2013.
    The new 6th storey building at Bonifacio campus was blessed.
    Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management major in Hotel and Restaurant Management was renamed to Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management